Sunday, June 22, 2008

Anne of Green Gables








One of the first "set" of books I ever had was the Anne of Green Gables group. My Aunt Bessie gave to me the first book the Christmas of 1956. I was 6 years old. I'm sure I was't able to read it at that time for I had only been in school for 4 months.



However, I was so enthralled I tried to write a book in the end pages. The title was all I inscribed but it was "The Home of Deddie". I wish I could go back to my 6 year old mind and see if I just got my d's and b's backwards...or if I was giving my character a pseudonym.

I still have the series on my bookshelves. Through an email I received today I learned that this is the 100th anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery of Prince Edward Island. Of course, there is a website and on it you can sign in that you have read the book. When I registered a few minutes ago I was number 897. I'm sure more of us than that have read and loved the book and series.

Go to this site http://www.anne2008.com/write-to-us.php and read all about Anne and register for yourself.

You will also find activities for students and ideas for teachers.

No comments: