Sunday, April 1, 2012

Is it time?

Is it time to rethink the purpose of this blog? The blurb reads "thoughts on reading and happenings in school libraries." I am no longer in a school library and have been floundering in my retirement. I enjoy not having to get up early every day but have missed the interaction with the students and teachers. Two library related part time job offerings have come my way, but as a have begun to "draw" my social security there are limits to earnings I can have.

So what now is the purpose of Bookladyspeaks? I can write reviews and opinions of books I am reading. But lots and lots of people do a better job at that than I would do. Rethink, redesign etc, etc.

Am currently reading No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club Diary of a 60th Year by Virginia Ironside. Wanted to share some words from it.




"I don't want to be young and stimulated anymore. .... I want to start doing old things, not young things. Like slowly starting to give my property away, instead of spending my time trying to acquire it. Like seeing everything from a distance, rather than closeup and personal.....Like realizing that this civilization, like all civilizations, will one day come to and end. Like being able to spend a day doing nothing instead of feeling obliged to cram it with diversionary activities to avoid guilt and anxiety. Like realizing that if I can't understand an idea or a concept, it's not my fault but the fault of the person who's trying to put it across. Like being able to see things with a historical perspective and really understand that what goes around comes around."


Having trouble with the idea in bold print! So although I've not entirely reached Virginia's place yet, I really no longer have much insight into "Happenings in School Libraries". So if you see a different slant beginning to appear in Bookladyspeaks you'll know why.

No comments: